Have you ever found yourself engrossed in MTV's Catfish series, wondering about the nature of online relationships? As we follow along, we watch people claim to have fallen in love with someone they've never met in person. When they finally meet, things often take a surprising turn.
Our world can be astonishingly superficial. These participants fell in love with fantastic personalities online, yet, when faced with a different physical reality, the relationship often falls apart. This begs the question: were they ever really in love?
There are two categories of Catfish participants: the "bad catfish liar" and the "good catfish liar."
If you're a "bad catfish liar," you likely fell in love with the image presented to you, but when faced with a different reality, you're thrown off. Are you genuinely in love, or were you merely captivated by a perception?
On the other hand, the "good catfish liar" is someone who either represented themselves as less attractive than they are to secure their desired partner or a person lacking confidence in their physical appearance.
The essence of a person - their values, personality, and character - is what truly counts in love. The physical aspect is just the tip of the iceberg, representing only about 20% of the whole person. The remaining 80% comprises what is invisible to the eye - the mental and emotional aspects.
True love should be built upon this 80% mental connection. After all, isn't that the very fabric of love?
A major flaw, especially in the "good catfish liar," is the lack of confidence in their own physical appearance. What they fail to recognize is the power of mental and emotional compatibility, which, in fact, forms the crux of any successful relationship.